As much as I love cozy evenings at home, I must admit, I’m giddy with excitement about all of the date opportunities that spring and summer weather open up! These photos of McKenzie and Pearce’s picnic date only encouraged my spring fever–since these cuties live in Florida, they get to enjoy the sunshine for most of the year, which I’m sure has something to do with the five ideas they chose as their favorite dates. I know I’m definitely inspired to pack up a picnic basket or find some bikes to take for a spin, and I hope you are, too!
The couple: Pearce and McKenzie Fussell
By day: Pearce is a middle school teacher and I work for Emily Ley as the Community Development Director and write my blog, Winsome & Gold, on the side.
Their love story: Oh goodness, where to begin?! Pearce and I grew up in the same small town (Fernandina Beach, Florida, on Amelia Island) but didn’t officially meet until he wound up as my math tutor during my freshman year/his senior year of high school (thanks, Mom!!!). I knew who he was and thought he was THE cutest thing, so naturally, I was thrilled to find out I’d get to spend my mornings with him! After a few sessions, I actually ended up “firing” him as my tutor because I had developed a pretty big crush and had the hardest time focusing. True story! We ended up dating a few years later and vowed to love one another forever and ever (Amen! Ha–thank you, Randy Travis) on May 26, 2014 in our hometown. It has been the greatest adventure! His faith and passion for people brings me so much joy. I definitely married up!
McKenzie and Pearce’s five favorite date ideas:
1. Beach picnic: It’s so nice to get out of the house (especially when you work from home!), avoid the crowds, and spend uninterrupted time connecting in such a beautiful location.
2. Biking around the Amelia Island Plantation: This is the neighborhood I grew up in and where Pearce and I were married, so we always make stops to see our wedding venue, the beach, and the marsh. Oh, and a final stop for ice cream, of course!
3. Coffee shop day date: Pearce is a bit of a coffee snob. He loves a great coffee shop and a drink he’s yet to try. I’m not as adventurous as he is in this department, but I never turn down a Dirty Chai and a fresh bakery treat! Grabbing a cup of cuban coffee at Hola (in downtown Amelia Island) or the Amelia Island Coffee Shop, followed by a walk downtown past my favorite historic homes and art galleries, will never get old!
4. Weekend getaway: We love a good road trip and have quite a few gorgeous Southern cities within a few hours of home (St. Augustine, St. Simons, Jekyll Island, and Savannah, just to name a few!). We’re heading up to Jekyll next week for a quick trip. We spent our honeymoon at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel, so this one will be a trip for the books!
5. Mexican night: Pearce and I LOVE Mexican food and rarely turn down an opportunity to eat it. I received a Mexican cookbook for Christmas, which led to some of the most delicious Mexican food date nights! Throw in a salsa dancing lesson (thanks to Youtube) and you’ve got yourself an affordable, fun-filled night at home!
Thanks so much, McKenzie and Pearce! Follow along with McKenzie here:
Photography: Annabeth Kierspe
Southern Weddings reserves the right to delete comments which contain profanity or personal attacks or seek to promote a business unrelated to the post. And remember: a good attitude is like kudzu – it spreads. We love hearing your kind thoughts!