Hello, belles! After all the snow we had last week, this week has dawned sunny and warm — which makes us ready for spring and summer! One of our favorite things about the warmer months just happens to be the arrival of our summer editorial intern, and we’re excited to meet the next guy or gal to fill this role! This is a fantastic opportunity to get a hands-on experience working in a dynamic, small-office environment. Here is what we’re looking for:
– An undergraduate student who can commit to working approximately 20-25 hours a week in June and July. We would ideally love someone who could start in late May and stay into August, as well, for a total of about 10 weeks.
– SOMEONE WHO LOVES WEDDINGS. More than anything else, we want to work with someone who loves weddings and has a KEEN familiarity with weddings, wedding trends, the wedding industry, and the wedding publishing industry. A deep love for the South is important, too!
– A great work ethic is super important to us, as well as someone who loves to learn, can work and problem solve independently, is very responsible, and is a self-starter.
– A firm grasp on grammar. Familiarity with Photoshop, InDesign, and WordPress would be a bonus.
Every Southern Weddings internship is a bit different, but here are some of the things you can expect to experience:
— Sitting in on and contributing to weekly staff meetings and brainstorming sessions
— Learning the basics of working with a WordPress blog and the Adobe Creative Suite
— Writing a post on the blog and/or copy for the magazine
— Researching images and information for features
— Researching, requesting, and tracking products for editorial
— Assisting on site at editorial shoots
— Building portfolios on the SW site
— Assisting with our social media accounts
– Getting a firsthand view of how a bustling magazine, blog, shop, and small business run with a small staff of women
Sound like something you’re interested in? Please fill out this form by Sunday, March 2 at 11:59pm. Please let us know in the comments if you have any questions. Please do not email your application to us or email us to confirm receipt. We will be in touch with applicants who we think might be a good fit within two weeks of March 2.
This position is unpaid, but we are happy to work with you to get college credit if that’s something your school offers. We know this will be a great learning opportunity! If chosen for the internship, we will need you to work in person at our Chapel Hill office, but any college student who can get themselves to Chapel Hill for the summer is eligible to apply.
We can’t wait to hear from y’all!!