It must be that mason jars simply inspire sweet thoughts, because we have another cake-based finalist for you today! Farren of PrettyPeachtree and Ashley from Scobey Photography put together this mason jar “cake” after they discovered their mutual love of frosting at a wedding. A friendship with a sweet beginning, indeed!
From the ladies:
“I don’t think I have ever met someone who loves wedding cake as much as I do until I met Ashley Scobey from Scobey Photography. We discovered this similarity when Ashley and I sat next to each other at a rehearsal dinner and both returned to our table with extra helpings of the groom’s cake with added fondant on the side. When I saw the challenge for mason jars on SW, I instantly knew wedding cake had to be the way to go. It is the best part of the wedding after all…that is, after marrying the love of your life.
What makes these mason jars great is that they are easy to make, and guests don’t have to wait on the cake to get sliced before they get to enjoy the sweet sensation that is wedding cake! By adding a cake tier on top of the mason jars, you get a cake-like appearance and to enjoy the tradition of cutting the cake with your new husband.
1. Search local craft stores such as Joann Fabrics for ribbon to top your mason jars to match your wedding color scheme. I wanted a rustic look for this challenge in honor of fall, so I chose a neutral braided like ribbon. Cut enough of the ribbon to fully fit the circumference of the top of the mason jar and where the ribbon overlaps a bit in the back as to create a smooth edge. Adhere with hot glue or use a craft adhesive dot to secure. I wanted to be able to reuse the jars for other purposes, so I used an adhesive dot to secure the ribbon to the jars as it will peel off when wanted.
2. Bake your favorite kind of cake in a sheet cake pan. Once cooled, cut the cake into small cubes. Place cubes of cake in the bottom of each mason jar until they reach about halfway up the jar.
3. Dollop a generous portion of icing into each mason jar on top of the cubes of cake in the bottom. Spread gently against the sides of the jar with a spatula as to create a layered look from the outside of the jar.
4. Top each mason jar off with more cubes of cake until it reaches the top of the jar.
5. You can stack the mason jars as pictured, or just display them individually on a table. Either way, your guests won’t be able to wait to pick one up and enjoy that yummy cake!”
Thank you so much, Farren + Ashley! Readers, if you love this idea, comment and let us know! And remember, you’re welcome to vote for more than one concept!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!! Did I mention I love this idea!? Very original and such a cute idea for a wedding cake.
I love this! So precious!
Yum!!! This looks delish and oh so cute!! Love it!
SUCH a cute and unique idea! I love it!! :-)
Love this idea as someone who is an avid baker and photographer. Great and super cute idea ladies!!
Such a savory and sweet idea! I love the creative concept and beautiful photography :)
So creative! I’ve never seen anything like it. This would make a wedding quite memorable.
I love this idea. So cute and looks delicious!
This has got to be the cutest idea, ever! It is a unique and creative way to display a wedding cake “southern style”. Can’t wait to try it for my daughter who just got engaged!
I clearly adore this idea :) Farren is such a craft-genius – and I am very thankful for our friendship and her amaze baking skill(z) ;)
This idea is the best ever! Farren has always been a tremendously creative individual and i am blessed to call her a friend. I’m just hoping she can multi task- being my bridesmaid and making cute crafts for my wedding :)
What a great “Southern Idea”! Unique and classic! It makes me want to get a “BIG” spoon and dive in. Very creative and such a lovely touch for that true Southern wedding.